The IHMM Code of Ethics sets forth the ethical principles to be observed by IHMM Certificants. IHMM Certificants shall, in their professional activities, sustain and advance the integrity and honor of the practice of hazardous materials, dangerous goods, environment, health, and safety by adherence to this Code of Ethics. IHMM Certificants who violate any provision of the Code of Ethics will be subject to disciplinary action by a peer review panel, which may result in suspension or revocation of the credential.
- An IHMM Certificant shall practice in a manner consistent with all applicable laws and regulations; shall demonstrate integrity, honesty, and fairness in all activities; and shall strive for excellence in all matters of ethical conduct. The designations held by the certificant may not be used by anyone for any purpose that is untruthful, misleading, or in violation of any law or government regulation. An IHMM Certificant must approach other individuals with the requisite professional balance of knowledge, skill, experience, and professionalism in the conduct of all professional activities, and in a manner free of bias with regard to religion, ethnicity, gender, age, national origin, or disability.
- An IHMM Certificant’s primary responsibility is to protect the public and the environment. All actions taken on behalf of a client or employer must be consistent with this primary responsibility. The interests of individual clients and employers must be secondary to protecting public health and safety, national security, and the environment.
- An IHMM Certificant shall act with integrity in any relationship that involves an employer or client. An IHMM Certificant has an obligation to disclose fully to an affected employer or client any conflicts of interest resulting from business affiliations or personal interests, and to maintain the security and confidentiality of an employer’s or client’s confidential information.
- An IHMM Certificant shall represent his or her qualifications honestly, and shall function only within his or her area and level of competence. An IHMM Certificant is expected to judge objectively his or her own level of competence, and to function within that level of personal confidence and professional expertise. When An IHMM Certificant is expected by a client or employer to function outside of his or her area or level of competence, the IHMM Certificant must seek appropriate expertise or suggest that the client or employer find a qualified person.
- An IHMM Certificant shall behave with professional decorum and restraint, and shall not exhibit conduct that brings discredit on IHMM’s Certification Programs. The IHMM Certificant is a professional and must conduct themselves accordingly.
- An IHMM Certificant shall comply with and uphold all policies, procedures, guidelines, and requirements of IHMM; shall use their designations only as authorized by IHMM; shall acknowledge that the certificate and marks are the property of IHMM; and shall return the certificate and discontinue use of the designation and marks when required to do so by IHMM.
- An IHMM Certificant shall accept responsibility for maintaining the credential through recertification, shall remain current in the field, and shall continuously uphold the Code of Ethics.
The IHMM Certificant acknowledges that IHMM’s Certification designations and acronyms are registered trademarks of the Institute of Hazardous Materials Management and that he or she is authorized to use these designations only so long as the certification has not expired, been suspended, revoked or voluntarily relinquished, or converted to the Inactive or Emeritus status. The IHMM Certificant acknowledges that authorized use of Certification designations and acronyms as described in this section does not include the right to use the logo of the Institute of Hazardous Materials Management without express written permission from IHMM. An IHMM Certificant shall voluntarily and immediately report any felony convictions or other legal or disciplinary dispositions that would constitute violations of this Code of Ethics that have not already been disclosed to IHMM, regardless of when they occur. I understand that violating the Code of Ethics could lead to suspension or revocation of my IHMM certification. I also understand that if my certification lapses or is revoked for any reason, I will no longer be authorized to use the IHMM designation.