A new edition of safety standard CAN/CGSB 43.146 “Design, manufacture and use of intermediate bulk containers (IBCs) for the transportation of dangerous goods, Classes 3, 4, 5, 6.1, 8 and 9” has been developed by the Canadian General Standards Board (CGSB) Technical Committee and was published in March 2022. Stakeholders must comply with the 2022 edition of the standard, but in accordance with Section 1.3.2 of the Transportation of Dangerous Goods Regulations (TDGR), the previous version of the document (2016 edition) may be complied with during the 6-months transitional period ending on September 30, 2022.
The most notable changes in the new edition of this standard are as follows:
- Alignment with the 21st edition of the UN Recommendations on the Transport of Dangerous Goods – Model Regulations (Orange Book)
- Updates related to the routine maintenance and repair of IBCs
- Updates to IBC design, testing, and marking requirements
- Updates to requirements on the use of plastic material
- Clarifications to Annex C
A more detailed summary of the changes between the 2016 edition of the standard and the updated 2022 edition of the standard can be found here.
A PDF copy of the standard can be downloaded here: CAN/CGSB 43.146.
Questions regarding the new edition of CAN/CGSB-43.146 may be submitted to Transport Canada by email ([email protected]).