On October 20, 2020, the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA) issued Final Rule HM-219B. This Rule addresses the requalification requirements for DOT 4-series cylinders used in non-corrosive gas service. Based on a petition (P-1696) submitted by the National Propane Gas Association, the Final rule reverses changes made in HM-233F that were not supported by incident data. Changes include:
- Changes only apply to DOT 4-series cylinders used in non-corrosive gas service
- §180.209(e) – Revise the initial and requalification periods for such cylinders
- Initial period for volumetric expansion and proof pressure testing extended from 10 years to 12 years
- Subsequent requalification period for volumetric expansion extended from 10 years to 12 years
- Subsequent requalification period for proof pressure extended from 7 years to 10 years.
- Modified the title of §180.209(e) to reflect the provisions apply to all specified cylinders used in non-corrosive service.
The Final Rule becomes effective November 30, 2020 with immediate voluntary compliance.