Welcome to the IHMM Scholarship
The Institute of Hazardous Materials Management is pleased to have created $32,000 in academic scholarships, divided equally between $16,000 for students enrolled in undergraduate or graduate education in approved schools and who are also Student CHMMs, and $16,000 for students enrolled in undergraduate or graduate education in approved schools and who are also Student ASHMs.
IHMM seeks to foster the growth and academic success of students whose courses of education, and participation in one of our Student certifications, will lead to those students becoming fully-certified IHMM credential holders later in their professional lives.
Eligibility Criteria For Applicants
- Be a full-time student who will be enrolled in a graduate or undergraduate degree program that is an IHMM approved hazardous materials management or safety, health, and environmental (SH&E) degree program.
- Be in good academic standing in the IHMM approved degree program (at least 2.0 cumulative GPA).
- Applicant must have at least one full academic year remaining at the time of the application deadline.
- Demonstrate a desire to enter the hazardous materials management or safety, health, and environmental professions upon graduation.
- Must have attained status as a Student/Certified Hazardous Materials Manager (ST/CHMM) or Student/Associate Safety and Health Manager (ST/ASHM).
How To Apply:
Prepare an application package containing the following:
- Applicant’s general information page (attached)
- Certifications and authorizations page (attached)
- Typed personal statement page of 750 words or less which answers these questions:
- Why are you seeking a degree in hazardous materials management or safety, health, and environmental (SH&E)?
- What are your career goals?
- Why do you need a scholarship?
- What difficulties have you faced and handled while working towards your educational goals?
- Two letters of recommendation, one of which must come from a professor from your academic program. The other can come from a second professor, professional colleague, or supervisor at a current or previous employer. Reference letters must be no longer than two pages in length and must be on letterhead. Please share the following reference template letter with your references.
- For how long have you known the applicant and what sets them apart from their peers?
- What are the applicant’s strongest characteristics or strengths?
- How would you assess the applicant’s reasoning skills and/or problem-solving abilities?
- If applicable, how would you assess the applicant’s hazardous materials management or safety, health, and environmental (SH&E) skills?
- Provide any additional insight you believe will assist the scholarship committee in its decision regarding the applicant (interpersonal skills, demonstrated leadership skills, academic performance work ethic, ).
- Copy of unofficial transcript(s) documenting at least a 2.0 academic standing. Scholarship winners will be required to submit official transcripts prior to the distribution of funds.
- A digital, high resolution (minimum 300 dpi) professional photo. If selected for an IHMM scholarship, the photo may be used at the discretion of IHMM in publications and/or marketing
- Listing of awards, extracurricular activities, leadership positions, employment history (including dates), and highlights of community
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Applications must be submitted no later than October 15th each year.
Annual IHMM Scholarship Fund Distribution Options
SAFETY AND HEALTH
Bronze: $2500 (X2)
Bronze: $2500 (X2)
The IHMM Scholarship Committee
The IHMM Scholarship program is governed by the IHMM Scholarship Committee, seen here > IHMM Scholarship Committee
The IHMM Scholarship Committee has established and created procedures necessary to carry out an IHMM scholarship program that is best focused on limiting eligibility to students who are in good academic standing in degree programs currently recognized by the IHMM as approved partner schools. The students to be eligible for such IHMM scholarships are those students who are in good standing as either a Student CHMM or a Student ASHM.