In advance of the 7th annual National Safety Stand-Down to Prevent Falls in Construction next week (September 14-18, 2020), we wanted to alert you to the following new tools and resources to assist workplaces in participating in the Stand-Down:
- Official Stand-Down Kickoff: Monday Sept 14th 1 PM EST virtual webinar featuring:
- Loren Sweatt, Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary of Labor for Occupational Safety and Health
- Scott Ketcham, Director, OSHA’s Directorate of Construction
- John Howard, M.D., NIOSH Director
- Scott Earnest, PhD, PE, CSP, NIOSH, Director, Office of Construction Safety and Health
- Chris Trahan Cain, Executive Director, CPWR- The Center for Construction Research and Training
- Register here (Flyer attached)
- Drop-in banner: The attached banner is about the Fall Stand-Down can be adapted for use in raising awareness about the Fall Stand-Down in newsletters, e-mail blasts, and even social media.
- Stand-Down Events: Stand-Down events and training that are free and open to the public are now being added to the Events section of the Stand-Down webpage. Find an event near you, or, if you plan to host a free event that is open to the public, submit the event details or contact your Regional Stand-Down Coordinator.
- New – [Videos] Stand Down Stories from the Outer Banks, North Carolina; Baker Roofing Company, Virginia Beach; and The Massachusetts Fatality Assessment and Control Evaluation (FACE) Program
- New – 2019 Data Analysis: Factsheet and Full Report
- New – Regional Hispanic Contractors Association Stand Down Virtual Training Opportunity English or Spanish Registration
- New– NECA Stand Down Webinar: NECA will be presenting a Falls Stand-Down on Tuesday, September 15th at 2pm EST. It appears to be on the heels of the NRCA 30 minute session that are on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, (12:30 CST, 1:30 EST). Register here. (Flyer attached)
- New– CPWR podcast “7th Annual Safety Stand-Down Event” is now live. It can be streamed on various platforms (more info here). Embedded it in the One-Stop Stand-Down shop for easy access: https://stopconstructionfalls.com/one-stop-stand-down-shop/
Dr. G. Scott Earnest, NIOSH Associate Director for Construction, discusses the National Campaign to Prevent Falls in Construction and 7th annual Safety Stand-Down event. The Stand-Down is scheduled for September 14-18, 2020. This year may look different due to COVID-19, but CPWR, NIOSH, and OSHA have plenty of ideas for participating virtually or at a safe social distance.
- New – Small Business Focus Postcard & Stand-Down site “Plan Provide Trade”
- New – CPWR Generic Fall Protection Plan template available in English and Spanish
- Order your 2020 Stand-Down hard-hat stickers and fall-related hazard alert here
- 2020 Infographics
- Include Stand-Down hashtags! #StandDown4Safety #StopFalls #Construction
- OSHA Fall Stand Down Poster here (Spanish)
- Additional resources are available here
As a reminder, anyone who wants to prevent hazards in the workplace can participate in the Stand-Down. Companies can conduct a Safety Stand-Down by taking a break to have a toolbox talk or another safety activity such as conducting safety equipment inspections, developing rescue plans, or discussing job-specific hazards. Managers are encouraged to plan a stand-down that works best for their workplace anytime. See Suggestions to Prepare for a Successful “Stand-Down” and Highlights from the Past Stand-Downs.