A new edition of the standard CAN/CGSB-43.123 “Aerosol Containers and Gas Cartridges for Transport of Dangerous Goods” has been developed by the Canadian General Standards Board (CGSB) Technical Committee and was published in April 2022. Upon publication, stakeholders must comply with the 2022 edition of the standard, but in accordance with Section 1.3.2 of the Transportation of Dangerous Goods Regulations (TDGR), the previous edition of the document (2017) may be complied with during the transitional period of six (6) months ending on October 31, 2022.
The most notable changes in the 2022 edition of the standard include:
- Alignment with the 21st edition of the United Nations’ Model Regulations on the TDG and the US Hazardous Materials Regulations (49 CFR);
- Addition of specification requirements for the new TC-2P2 specification for gas cartridges intended to be used for liquified petroleum gases;
- Addition of specification requirements for the new TC-2P1 and TC-2Q2 specifications intended to be used for foodstuffs and soaps;
- Addition of reciprocity for DOT-2P1 and DOT-2Q2 specifications; and
- Revision of requirements for the transport of aerosol containers and gas cartridges intended for disposal or recycling.
Please note that the standard may be downloaded here: CAN/CGSB 43.123