45 in 5 – Alaska
IHMM is working with the State of Alaska’s Department of Environmental Conservation [DEC] on recognition of the CHMM under its treatment of “Qualified Environmental Professionals.”
Alaska handles “Qualified Environmental Professionals” as outlined here > https://dec.alaska.gov/spar/csp/qualified-professionals/ as well as in 18 Alaska Administrative Code § 78.088 and § 75.333.
The education and experience prerequisites to sit for the IHMM CHMM examination are stringent as follows:
1. Baccalaureate degree (or higher) from an accredited college or university, with a preference for disciplines in applied science or related field, chemistry, biology, geology, hazardous materials management, environmental science, environmental management, physical or life science or environmental technology, and
2. A minimum of four years of relevant experience in the field of hazardous materials management or a related field.
“Relevant experience” is further defined as follows:
Relevant experience includes, but is not limited to, the following examples:
1. Hazardous materials identification and handling in compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
2. Planning and preparing for and responding to hazmat emergencies and incidents.
3. Sampling and analysis (of air, water, soil, waste) for potential contaminants.
4. Site investigation and remediation.
5. Hazmat program or project management.
As has been outlined for minimum qualifications here > https://dec.alaska.gov/spar/csp/qualifiedprofessionals/ it would appear that the prerequisites and relevant experience requirements for the CHMM meet or exceed the minimum qualifications considered for the Alaska Qualified Environmental Professional.
Alaska does not retain a list or database of Qualified Environmental Professionals. When the state is working with a responsible party on an environmental project, the responsible party must hire a qualified environmental professional who drafts a workplan addressing the work to be performed. In the workplan the QEP outlines their qualifications and experience to perform the work.