Notice of Public Meetings in 2023 for International Standards on the Transport of Dangerous Goods
PHMSA’s Office of Hazardous Materials Safety will be hosting public forums in advance of four international meetings, to allow the public to give input on current proposals being considered by the International Civil Aviation Organization’s (ICAO) Dangerous Goods Panel (DGP) and the United Nations Sub-Committee of Experts on the Transport of Dangerous Goods (UNSCOE TDG). The international meetings include:
- ICAO TDG Working Group 23 (WG/23), scheduled for May 15 to 19, 2023, in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- The 62nd session of the UNSCOE TDG, scheduled for July 3 to July 7, 2023, in Geneva, Switzerland
- The 29th session of the ICAO TDG, scheduled for November 13 to 17, 2023, in Montreal, Canada
- The 63rd session of the UNSCOE TDG, scheduled for November 27 to December 6, 2023, in Geneva, Switzerland
Each of these public meetings will be held approximately two weeks before the corresponding international meeting. Specific information for each meeting, including date, time, conference call-in number, and details for advance registration will be posted when available on the PHMSA website under “Upcoming Events.” These meetings will be virtual, with hybrid options available as possible, pending public health guidelines.
The Federal Register announcement can be found here.
NPRM 219D: Adoption of Miscellaneous Petitions and Updating Regulatory Requirements
On March 3, PHMSA published notice of proposed rulemaking (NPRM) 219D “Adoption of Miscellaneous Petitions and Updating Regulatory Requirements” to the Federal Register. This rulemaking proposes amendments to the Hazardous Materials Regulations (HMR) to update, clarify, improve the safety of, or streamline various regulatory requirements. Specifically, this rulemaking responds to petitions for rulemaking submitted by the regulated community between May 2018 and October 2020. Proposed changes would address regulations on compressed gas cylinders, streamlined hazard communication requirements, and the incorporation by reference of specified Compressed Gas Association (CGA) documents.
The comment period for this rulemaking closes May 2, 2023.
Hazardous Materials Registration
The 2023 registration year officially begins on July 1st and ends on June 30th of the following year, with early registration opening May 1st. The new 2023 registration brochure will be available for print in Mid-April. To download or print this brochure, please visit our website.
The tips below are intended to help you prepare for the upcoming 2023 registration year. Please read through this section for important information to eliminate errors in the processing of your registrations.
- Please do not submit your registration prior to May 1st to avoid errors and processing delays. Any registration submitted before this date will NOT be processed.
- When renewing your registrations, please use your HM Company ID to avoid errors in typing your business name and company address. If you don’t know your HM Company ID, please contact our registration help desk for assistance.
- If you submitted a registration by mail or ACH, please allow up to 14 days for processing. You can also call our registration help desk after 7 days to check on the status.
- Please DO NOT submit a duplicate. If you are processing online payments and you do not receive your registration, contact our registration help desk for assistance.
- Please check to see if you have a previous registration prior to registering or call our registration help desk for assistance if you are unsure.
- Please check to ensure a payment was not made by someone else in your business or by a different method (ex. mailed-in check).
- If you feel you have made an error in the registration process – STOP!!! Call our registration help desk and let us assist you through the process.
- Prior to disputing payments, refunds, etc. with your bank, please consider calling the registration help desk. All financial payment issues can be resolved by the registration team, which is a quicker and more efficient process.
- If you cannot get through to a help desk representative, please send an email to [email protected].
- Please be patient with processing your registrations through our portal. Sometimes our systems are very busy, so allow time for processing. It would be best to try to re-submit on the next business day. If you are still having problems, then call our registration help desk for assistance.
Please submit only business contact information. The contact information you submit during the registration process, including names, addresses, phone numbers, and email addresses, may be disclosed in response to requests under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), 5 U.S.C. § 552.
Registration Help Desk numbers
If you are in need of assistance with registration questions or concerns, please contact the Registration help desk at the following numbers:
(202) 934-1630 for businesses beginning with the letters A-M
(202) 934-1631 for businesses beginning with the letters N-Z
For more information, visit: https://www.phmsa.dot.gov/registration/registration-overview
Note: In response to authorization from the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act of 2021, PHMSA published an Advanced Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (ANPRM): Adjusting Registration and Fee Assessment Program, which solicits stakeholder feedback on potential registration fee adjustments. These changes have not been enacted for the 2023 registration year.
For more on the potential fee adjustments, visit the ANPRM.